Read Stage 4: Exploration/Refinement 97-116
This chapter is about exploring and refining your concept and the methods/tools used in this stage. According to the author, the most important tools are sketches and illustrations in that "they can quickly show things that do not exist, and in doing so flesh out the ideas and explain them to the clients and collaborators" (Aspelund pg100). This makes sense. I find visual aids to always be the most effective means in presenting ideas, it helps everyone get on the same page. In sketching, we are developing what is known as a visual language. We are communicating ideas in a personal way that the audience will easily be able to translate.
The author explains that as we sketch we should draw for expression and for fun, as a child would, because at this stage we are exploring. Therefore, it is unneccesary to make incredibly elaborate and detailed drawings. I tend to be a perfectionist so I have a lot of trouble with just doing quick sketches. I always feel compelled to elaborate and develop the sketches completely. Next time, I have to sketch, I'm going to take the authors suggestion and not put so much emphasis on drawing everything perfect. I'm sure I will be saving myself a lot of time.
Besides sketching, another way to visualize an idea is modeling. There are a variety of mediums that can be used to create a three-dimensional rendering to include clay, plaster, wood, etc. CAD or Computer-Aided-Design is one medium that is being used more and more as it provides results quicker and in more detail if that is what is needed. This would probably be extremly beneficial for people like myself who have difficulty doing rough sketches.
No comments:
Post a Comment