Wednesday Oct 06, 2010 - Day 4

Are you in your element?

Photobucket

We had a film day today. It was a video of a conference at the Hammer Museum where Sir Ken Robinson, who is a key player in the revolunization of arts in education, spoke about his book the Element. An element, according to Robinson, is "doing something to which you have a natural ability for". In his book, Robinson takes an in depth look at what hinders people from finding their element and what happens when they finally do break through the barriers. He also explains the need for transforming education so that it may be possible for more and more people to tap into their own "human resources" (Ken Robinson).

As I listened to Sir Robinson speak, I found myself getting anxious for the class to finish so that I could go out and buy his book. I agreed with everything he said. He spoke about how people tend to do their best when they love what they do; finding your element is essential to personal fullfillment and therefore helps the community. This hit me close to home because I was originally a Biology major and while I did enjoy what I was doing and learning, I still didn't have that spark. I found that when I started taking Art classes and now I'm doing better than ever in school. I find myself eager to get to class even if it's a difficult subject. I'm excited to learn more and I want to give it my all.

We ended the class with a discussion on the film and we took a look at the mind maps we did for homework. Everyone had great ideas, they were all fantastic. Jimmy was looking like he might give us all extra credit, he was so pleased. Instead he said he was going to display them all somewhere in the school and we voted on who would get 1,000 points of extra credit for best original concept. I voted for Cee who did a mind map on what we should do if a killer carrot was on the loose.

The thing looked possessed, I'd call ghostbusters.....

No comments:

Post a Comment