Wednesday Sept 29, 2010 - Day 2

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Photobucket Photobucket

Jimmy began the class today by re-arranging us into different seats. He asked us whose birthday was in January, I was the only one who raised my hand, and then pointed to a seat across the room and explained that I was going to have a new seat today. He then told the class to fall in line behind me in the order of our birthday's. I was a bit uncomfortable at first because I had created a cozy little nook at my last seat and now I was more out in the open. It turns out that the point of the exercise was this, to get us to experience new things. It's all about changing perspectives and how you feel during different situations. I thought it was a great exercise because, when we begin working, we are going to be dealing with a lot of different people and we are going to be having a variety of experiences with each project that we work on so, it's important to be comfortable with these new sensations and allow ourselves to tackle objectives from different points of view.

Next on the agenda was a discussion on visual literacy. What is visual literacy you may ask? Well, visual literacy is basically reading and interpreting images. It has to do with making sense of the story that the image is portraying. Jimmy began the lesson by showing us a slideshow and asking us to state specific facts about the images without trying to explain what we think is going on in the images. When I look at any image, my first instinct is to analyze the details that I see and try to imagine what is transpiring, so it was difficult for me to just observe without trying to explain why. Once we got the hang of it, Jimmy began showing us images that were, as he stated, "powerful". He explained how we can use images to invoke certain feelings in the viewer and how words can be added to change how the image is perceived. I believe the idea of this exercise was to show us the power of visual effects and how it is an efficient way to reach the viewer on an emotional level. If we can understand how people will "read" the image, we can use it to convey our own messages or ideas.

We ended the class early with an assignment where we have to draw our life story in a comic. We have 4 boxes in which to illustrate the events that led us on the path towards higher education and then come Monday morning, we will present them to the class.

This weekend, I'll be fine tuning the stick figures I drew :).

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I will get to sit next to you tomorrow! I expect the unexpected from this class so tomorrow should be fun. I also drew stick figures. I cannot wait to see what everyone drew.

    ReplyDelete