O, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive.
SIR WALTER SCOTT, MarmionWhen first we practice to deceive.
Today's lesson was on body language. A big part of a designers job is presentation. Because we are in the business of communication, it is important that we are able to effectively express our ideas and clearly and rationally explain our designs. Body language plays a role in presenting, the way we stand, our tone of voice, the words we use, are all factors that can contribute to or enhance a presentation.
To help us improve our public speaking skills, Jimmy had each of us go up to the front of the class and admit two truths and one lie about ourselves. After, the class would try to figure out which one was the lie and critique the way it was presented. We received feedback on what each persons' strengths were and the areas they need to improve in. I'm a terrible liar so the class was easily able to figure out what my lie was. I become incredibly nervous when I'm presenting in front of a large group of people, to the point where I start to shake a little and slowly but steadily a blush rises to my cheeks. Surprisingly though the class said that, besides the fact that I did blush, I didn't show any outward signs of nervousness. I appeared confident, I made good eye contact, and I spoke calmly and clearly. Jimmy said I have a kindness to my voice that draws the audience in and keeps them interested in listening. All I have to do now is work on holding a good confident posture.
I have to say even though it was nerve wracking when it was my turn, I did have a lot of fun with this exercise. We all got to know each other better and we were able to practice a lot of communication skills, not only when we presented, but, when giving feedback to each other. Jimmy says that 2 of the 3 things that employers are looking for is a person who has the ability to write and speak efficiently and is able to work in a group. This exercise helped us develop those skills.
During the last part of the class we spoke about the "image and headlines" project we redid. As expected, everyone did a lot better this time around. For homework we now have to do the opposite. We have to choose a headline or phrase and find 10 images that shift the meaning.
And so the search begins...
you did an excellent job for the presentation! I was sitting on the side so I didnt focus on the face and see you blushing. But you looked calm and didnt appear nervous. no shifting either! XP wish I could do what you did.
ReplyDeleteBy your moment on the stage and body your language, I found your speaking to be convincing. I know you were nervous (you said it yourself, lol). But, it didn't appear that way. You did an excellent job at the exercise :)
ReplyDelete